The body stops bleeding when there is blood clotting or in medical terms coagulation. It is a process by which blood changes from a liquid to a gel, and this is how a blood clot is formed.
Bruises and scabs are common forms of bloods clotting. But, blood clots may occur when they are not needed. Then, they can be dangerous causing stroke, heart attack, or other serious health problems.
Take a look at the following symptoms which indicate that someone is having blood clot:
- Leg pain or tenderness: This is a common sign of DVT. The pain is usually defined as a cramp or Charley horse.
- Unexplained cough: In case you experience sudden cough for no particular reason, breathing difficulties and chest pressure, call your doctor without delay.
- Breath shortness: If you experience difficulties when taking deep breaths, then you may have blood clot in your lungs. If you also feel dizzy, chest pain, or heart palpitations, visit your health care provider as soon as possible.
- Chest pain with deep breathing: If you are experiencing these symptoms at the same time, you may be having blood clots in your lungs. Seek for medical help immediately in order to prevent further complications.
- Red streaks on your skin: A bruise is a common form of blood clot and we all have had them, but if you happen to notice red streaks running along the line of your veins, then we are not talking about an ordinary bruise. You should see your doctor immediately. When you touch it, you feel the limb warm. This is due to the streaks.
- Swelling in the limb: This kind of blood clot is described as a deep vein thrombosis. This condition affects the normal blood flow in the circulatory system. You mustn’t disregard this problem, because whenever there is swelling in the limb, the oxygen is blocked and is not reaching the vital organs.
If not treated on time, blood clot can be very serious, so medical help is more than necessary.